At the end of November I told you that BMW M GmbH had already hung up the “exhausted” sign on its BMW M4 GTS, a model that was conceived to shine on racing circuits and very eye-catching, because its tests in Green Hell made it stop The time in 7:28 minutes, something that gives us a more than enough idea of the extraordinary level of performance of this model so special. The most aggressive version of the BMW M4 has also been designed for use in road traffic. With this registration the model is faster than the Porsche 911 GT2, the Ferrari 458 or the Koenigsegg CCX.
It was not until a few hours ago when we obtained a video that shows us many of its details and of course, its expected sound … (in English)
But let’s do a review. Following the 30th anniversary of the first BMW M3 in 1986, BMW M GmbH launched the BMW M4 GTS, a special model limited to 700 units capable of faithfully reflecting the innovative strength of BMW M engineers. M technologies that mark milestones in the propulsion system, the chassis and the use of light materials.
Under the hood, this new model mounts the turbocharged engine of 3.000 cc in line also used in the BMW M3 / M4 models. However, for use in the special model, it has an innovative water injection system, with which the power increases significantly. Specifically, with the water injection system, the power is 368 kW / 500 hp, and the engine torque is considerable 600 Nm.
In addition to this we have known the 700 units of the model have been exhausted and that its tag price was 142,600 euros in Germany.
You may also like to read : Test Audi Q3 Sport Edition 2.0 TFSI Quattro S Tronic 220 Hp: The Engine Of The Golf GTI In An SUV
In order not to bore you I will summarize the most important points of the model in question:
– The weight is very important and in BMW it is very clear: BMW M engineers managed to limit the weight of the car in running order to 1,510 kilograms according to DIN standard (according to ECE: 1,585 kilograms). The excellent weight / power ratio is 3.0 kg / hp. The consequent weight reduction is evident in the passenger compartment. This is confirmed by the carbon fiber seats, the center console of light materials, the linings in the rear, including the partition panel between the interior and the luggage compartment, lightweight material, especially light coatings of doors and parts Sides, as well as loops in the form of loops instead of massive door handles. In places not visible light materials were used in many details. For example, the dashboard support tube is carbon fiber and therefore very light. On the exterior, the newly designed bonnet, roof and lower front baffle are made of carbon fiber reinforced polymers (PRFC). Also adjustable rear spoiler is a material of advanced technology that, although light, is highly resistant. Its filigree brackets are made of aluminum and are mounted on the carbon fiber reinforced polymer boot lid. The diffuser spoiler is also made of carbon fiber reinforced polymer. The exhaust system includes a quiet titanium finish, which weighs 20% less than a conventional one.
BMW M4 GTS 44
– A gearbox adapted to the power: The gearbox M of seven gears and double clutch (M DKG) selects the optimum ratio in every circumstance, without interruption of the tensile force, applying the power in the Rear wheels. If you prefer the driver, you can change gears manually using the cams or the selector lever on the center console. The Drivelogic gearshift programs and the “launch control” function were adapted to the higher engine power.
– Exclusive design 666 M wheels and optimized weight, forged and shiny turning. These wheels have star radii and contrasting surfaces of Acid Orange color. The tires of mixed dimensions (the front of 265/35 R19, the rear of 285/30 R20) type Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2.
BMW M4 GTS 30
– The three-way suspension M with shock absorbers can be adjusted according to the circumstances, which means that it can be adapted to the specific requirements of each circuit.
– The characteristic double headlights combine light-emitting diode technology with the BMW Selective Beam (headlamp assistant with anti-dazzle) function and adaptive orientation of the light beam according to the layout of the curves. The BMW Concept M4 GTS is the first mass-produced car that features innovative OLED technology rear lights. These organic light-emitting diodes are novel light sources, which emit a homogeneous light throughout their surface, so they differ from the light points of the usual LEDs. Thanks to its height of just 1.4 millimeters and, in addition, to the possibility of activating several light modules separately, new possibilities are available for the lighting of the car. In addition, they have a look of maximum precision.
BMW M4 GTS 17
– The purist exclusivity of the passenger compartment is accentuated by the M seats of carbon fiber for the driver and his companion. Compared with the sports seats of the BMW M4 Coupé, these weigh approximately half.
The exclusive Alcantara and Merino leather upholstery is accompanied by the stripes of the M colors on the backrests, the seat belts and the door straps. Instead of rear seats, the special model includes a glass fiber-reinforced polished glass slide, combined with a sandwich panel made of carbon fiber reinforced polymers (PRFC), both coated with alcantara.
You may also like to read : Maserati Granturismo Mc Stradale: Customer Careers
– The engine with M technology Twin Power Turbo of the BMW M4 GTS can rotate to a maximum of 7,600 rpm. In the case of a turbo engine, it revs up unusually spontaneously, and the delivery of power is linear within a wide range of revolutions. The innovative water injection system ensures that the inline six-cylinder turbocharged engine achieves a considerable level of power. Compared to the engine of the BMW M4, the BMW M4 GTS has a superior power at 16 percent (348 kW / 500 hp), which the engine delivers at 6,250 rpm. The maximum torque is now about 10 percent higher, reaching 600 Nm, Available over a wide range of revolutions (from 4,000 to 5,500 rpm). The new BMW M4 GTS is capable of accelerating from 0 to 100 km / h in just 3.8 seconds, and can reach a top speed of 305 km / h (with electronic cut). In spite of the significant increase in its power, the propellant impresses by its excellent values: the consumption according to test cycle of the EU is of 8.3 liters to the 100 kilometers, whereas the CO2 emissions amount to 194 g / km.
BMW M4 GTS 16
What is the use of water injection? The power of a combustion engine is physically limited, among others, by the temperature in the combustion chamber. If the permissible temperature is exceeded, uncontrolled combustion (self-detonation) occurs and, therefore, power is lost. In the worst case, the engine is destroyed. This criterion must be taken into account especially in the case of turbocharged engines, since the suction air is heated to 160 ° C in the turbocharger compressor. While it is true that the inter cooler causes the required decrease in temperature, this cooling air cooling system also has its limits. Depending on the configuration and dimensions of the cooling system as well as the aerodynamics of the car, it is possible to lower the air temperature of the aspiration to less than 70 ° C before it enters the manifold. The injection of water as a fine fog in the collector gets to lower in approximately 25 ° C the temperature of the air entering the combustion chambers. The five-liter water tank, pump, sensors and valves are installed in the recess under the trunk floor. The drive of the pump, the sensors and the actuators is in charge of the extended electronic control system of the motor. The water reaches the injectors with a pressure of approximately ten bars; The distribution of quantities depends on the load, engine speed and temperature. Using the car in a circuit must fill the water tank when it is also necessary to refuel gasoline. Under normal conditions every 5 deposits. For safety reasons, the BMW M water injection system includes a sophisticated self-diagnosis system. If the water tank is empty or if the system has a fault, certain functions are activated to protect the motor. The turbo pressure is reduced and the ignition timing is delayed, so that the engine can continue to operate perfectly, albeit with reduced power.
BMW M4 GTS
– The steering was adapted to the setting of the BMW M4 GTS optimized for use in racing circuits. Modifying the kinematics of the front axle, the characteristics of the moments acting on the steering wheel were optimized so that the driver could execute the movements in a finer way.
– Components that increase the dynamism include the hollow and light secondary axles of the rear differential and the active M differential, which optimizes the traction capacity and the stability of the car by means of an electronically controlled multidisc lock, considering the greater power of the BMW M4 GTS. The active regulation of the multi-disc locking system is carried out extremely precisely and at maximum speed. The control unit is connected to the dynamic stability control system DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) and also considers the position of the accelerator, the speed of rotation of the wheels and the angle of rotation of the car on its own vertical axis.
BMW M4 GTS 40
– The M Dynamic Mode (MDM), a sub-function of the DSC system, meets the most demanding criteria in relation to a particularly dynamic performance of the car. While the DSC system specifically compensates for the tendency of the car to under-load or overturn, the M Dynamic mode allows the drive wheels to slip slightly, which means the driver can skid his car. Drivers who like a sporty and dynamic driving style know how to appreciate this behavior. However, even in these conditions, the driver assistance systems are maintained when the car exceeds certain limits, unlike what happens when the DSC system is completely deactivated.
– With M Motordynamic Control it is possible to modify the responsiveness of the electronic throttle. While in the road traffic can be accentuated the fine dosage of power, in circuits can be opted for more direct reactions, so that the engine can deliver its power explosively.
BMW M4 GTS 59
With the M Drive menu and the DSC-OFF key, it is possible to set the degree of activation of the dynamic DSC stability control system according to the DSC, MDM and DSC OFF settings. The choice of the operating characteristics of the seven-speed double-clutch M gearbox is defined by the Drivelogic key, which is located in the center console.
– BMW M4 GTS comes standard with a very light and outstanding performance carboceramic system. Thanks to its optimized braking capacity, it is a system especially suited for use in circuits which, furthermore, shines because of its long service life. The material used is carbon fiber reinforced silicon carbide, Ie: C / SiC. The discs are composed basically of two parts: the support body with the cooling air guide channels has a high percentage of carbon, while the percentage of ceramic is high in the internal and external friction surfaces. The wheel hub is made of composite material including aluminum. The joint with the disc is in charge of radial bearings. This special friction layer structure allows the carbon and ceramic brake disc to last much longer than a conventional disc. The carboceramic brake M is distinguished by the golden colored jaws.
You may also like to read : Lamborghini Reventón Spyder; Limited Edition